4th Day: Kandy and the natural force...a spontaneous day

This morning we started again quite early and had to be at 6.50 in Negombo to catch the train which would drive to Kandy to the highland. In Sri Lanka you have to be on the road early, because the destinations need long until they are reached...and u had to go back to the hotel. The train was also not very fast. The cars were allowed to drive a maximum of 80 km/h and short distances then also lasted longer because of traffic than one is accustomed


In any case, the weather was more pleasant today, the sun could be seen more and more.
So then with Tuck-Tuck -> Negombo -> Colombo -> Kandy (Highland).
In Colombo they did not want to sell us a ticket...not because the train was full, but because the rain flooded the line and there were landslides. The trip there was too dangerous and so we had to rethink.
So we decided on a destination that we actually wanted to make after Kandy...so it went on to Hikkaduwa


The sun now showed itself quite freely for a while, and the mood was lifted. Immediately we jumped into a tuck-tuck to drive to the most beautiful beach in Hikkaduwa. There we drank from a coconut and took a little walk


Hikkaduwa Beach


After 1 hour


In this region began the Tsunami from 2004, which cost over 1000 lives


Peraliya Buddha Statue, Tsunami Memorial​


With the Tuck-Tuck it went on to a turtle-catching station. Here they tend to find and injure turtles. Also extinct endemic species are bred here and all healthy and powerful animals are released again. A good thing and unfortunately a tourist attraction but which is also financially supported 


Hikkaduwa Turtlestation


We were at the time the only one there, the carer told us all and with good competence, until a large group came...with more children than adults and for the reason we set off. It was very crowded...


With the Tuck-Tuck continue to Galle through the road where the tsunami broke through. Some houses were moldy up to the top. Today the street was in good condition



The driver was also very informative and told us how he felt when the tsunami came. He told us how he had saved himself with many others and left us out there...


Fort Galle


View from Fort Galle


Cricket Nationalteam


Colombo Crow


The Fort Galle was the rescue point for many locals because it was built very high, it had withstood the tsunami and thus saved many lives. On the fort, there are still locals who spent time together during the floods. And also many young couples meet here to relax undisturbed...when you looked at them, then they grinned embarrassed back.

The Old Town Galle and the fortifications are world cultural heritage!

It went on with the Tuck-Tuck and the driver Feisel...Feisel the Tuck-Tuck rider.

He was very friendly, just wanted our best and took us to the Rock Temple. On the trip we stopped more often and he showed us rice fields as well as other native fruits




Banane / Jackfruit






Singapore graveyard flower




At the Rock Temple in Unawatuna we had to take off the shoes, because Buddhism wants it so. The stairs went up to the monks who were just preparing for a feast and improving the ground



Yatagala Raja Maha Viharawe, Rock Temple


Very old Bodhitree / Green Ant / Scarab


He led us through the rock formations, which so naturally clashed. It was very interesting to see how everything had supported



Everything was not allowed to be photographed but Feisel spoke with the monks and then it was possible to make from inside a few pictures...



This painting shows the normal and wise way of a person of Sri Lanka. He has a clear line from birth to death. I think it speaks for itself



...and with the distraction of the monks the sleeping Buddha behind the curtain



It continued with Feisel to an Ajurveda-garden. In the meantime, he turned out to be an ingenious tour guide with his many information. I have to say that such tours on their own are much better and cheaper than tours from the hotel. You learned more about the island and the people told you not only what one wanted to hear. It was more authentic and you were just closer to the people and so now understood her life, which then also changed or expanded her own world.
Arrived at the Ajurveda-garden high up on the mountain we were greeted with fresh vanilla tea, the only one in sunny weather


Ajurvedagarden, Galle-Unawatuna


Plant of Vanilla / Ginger


Torch Ginger, (Very rare)


Coconut / Banane / Starfruit / White pineapple




Green Pepper


The manager of the farm took us around, told a lot and was very informative. The farm was very nice and some animals were there too




Wild Turkey


The monkey sat quietly in the cage as we fed him...



Toque macaque


...but then he suddenly stopped, screamed, became restless and moved into the furthest corner of the cage. Everyone was surprised until one saw a long, fast moving snake moving through the roof of the cage


Colubrid snake


After the tour we went to a shop where we took some souvenirs. Surely today I wanted to take more pictures in the jungle purely for free animals...I had to discuss with Feisel a lot, to drove me there where I wanted. All requests to drive around the jungle were politely blocked, because it was too dangerous for tourists. So we went further inland towards Hiyare and I looked out for suitable places to search for animals. Unfortunately, there was not much. Feisel did not bother going to the areas where it was dangerous and interesting, but he did not want me to be unhappy. On the roadside we found a few other animals






Monitor Lizard


We then met locals and the tour continued after their recommendation to a mountain. Feisel said that when we went up there, we were to ask for animals...so we went up the mountain, arrived at the top of a large lake surrounded by jungle.

To the left of the lake was a small house where local people lived



I explored the area for animals and other things...


Singapore Daisy / Golden Trumpet